When I was pregnant, I craved all the comfort foods of my past. I guess becoming a mother made me reminisce about my own childhood. Mix nostalgia with pregnancy cravings and you can only imagine what this child of the 80’s wanted to eat … ahem, spaghettios, fro yo, FLUFF! I just wanted slices of my childhood palate, and that included good old-fashioned fettucine alfredo. Afterall, I grew up in New York where Americanized Italian food ran supreme! However, I didn’t want to down 10-thousand calories in one bowl of goodness so, of course, I had to recreate a healthier version of this staple comfort dish. This is how my zoodles with cauliflower tofu alfredo sauce was born.
I realize that the title is a mouthful and not a tempting one at that but this cauliflower tofu alfredo sauce is so rich, so creamy and so satisfying that you will not even miss the calorie and fat laden version. Plus, it is packed with plant-based protein and of course, fiber, which if you have ever been pregnant, you will definitely appreciate! Check out the recipe here:
ZOODLES WITH CAULIFLOWER TOFU ALFREDO SAUCE
-1 medium head of cauliflower
-1/2 package silken tofu
-1.5 cups of 2% milk
-1 cup Parmesan cheese
-2 T parsley
-1/2 t thyme
-1/2 t lemon zest
-Salt and pepper
- Spiralize the zucchini and set aside.
- Bring 5-6 cups of water in pot to boil.
- Once boiling, add cauliflower and cook on medium for 6-8 minutes till cauliflower is tender.
- Place cauliflower in blender or food processor along with milk, cheese, and tofu.
- Blend till smooth,
- Place contents of blender in saucepan (can use original pot without the water) along with the remaining ingredients and heat for 2 -3 minutes.
- Pour over zoodles (if you prefer al dente zoodles) or mix in with sauce and continue to heat for an additional 2-3 minutes before serving.
- Add a spring of parsley to garnish and serve!
How do you like to sub cauliflower in your decadent dishes? Share in the comments below!
Are you looking for a San Diego Dietitian? Contact us at JessicaSpiroRD@gmail.com! We can help with corporate wellness, group workshops and individual counseling. Click here for more information on the services we offer. Look forward to hearing from you!