Some call them energy bites and some call them energy balls (um let’s go with bites!) but whatever you call them, they are everywhere. Since I’m all about the easiest and most convenient way to make foods healthy, I love this trend. All you need is a food processor or a blender and that’s it. No cooking needed! In light of Thanksgiving, I decided to make my own holiday inspired version- pumpkin pecan energy bites!
These energy bites are perfect if you need an additional dessert for Thanksgiving or any upcoming holiday party, especially if you have friends or family that are gluten-free. Plus, they are low in sugar! I don’t know if I should share this right before Thanksgiving but a typical slice of pumpkin pie has over 300 calories and 46g of carbs and a slice of pecan pie has about 500 calories and 60g of carbs! Ouch. That stings especially for those that have diabetes and truly need to watch what they eat regardless of whether it’s a holiday or not.
But not to worry, you can have your pie and eat it too! A serving of these pumpkin pecan energy bites (2 bites in a serving) has 150 calories and 15g of carbs. Plus, the quality of the calories in these bites are a whole lot better than in traditional pies. If you take a look at the ingredients, all of the calories and fat come from good sources like nuts! They are also packed with fiber, which helps stabilize blood sugars. So how do you make these bites of yumminess? Here you go!
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup pecans + 16 additional pecan halves
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup agave syrup or honey
- 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- Place all ingredients in blender or food processor and blend till not completely smooth but with larger pieces mixed in
- Form into 16 balls
- Take pecan and press into top of bite
- Refrigerate for minimum of 30 minutes
- If you need these bites to be gluten-free, make sure the rolled oats say "gluten-free" on the packaging. While oats are naturally free of gluten, they can be cross-contaminated with gluten if not indicated otherwise.
- If you don't have pumpkin pie spice, you can just use cinnamon instead!
Have you made energy bites before? Share your comments below!