Savory broccoli and cheddar muffins are perfect for the beach, a picnic or a road trip! Plus they are made healthier by using whole wheat flour, applesauce and barely any sugar.
During the summer, it feels like we have most of our meals on the go. Whether headed to the beach, a park, or hitting the road for a weekend getaway, we are out and about most every day during the summer. So I decided to make savory muffins that are perfect as a breakfast on the go or as a snack for the beach or road trip. Made with broccoli and cheddar cheese (and very little added sugar), they are more nutritious than your average muffin. Plus, they are perfect for kids of all ages, including toddlers!
I made them a little healthier by replacing half the flour with whole wheat flour and half the butter with applesauce. But there’s still a lot of cheesy goodness to keep everyone happy. Check out the recipe below!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1Tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets (defrosted + chopped)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 stick of melted unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Combine dry ingredients: flour (white + whole wheat, baking powder, salt, sugar)
- Combine wet ingredients (egg, melted butter, whole milk, applesauce)
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mixing till everything is combined
- Add broccoli and cheese to mixture and combine well
- Oil a muffin tin (or use silicone cups)
- Pour muffin mix almost to the top
- Place in oven for 20-22 minutes
- Use toothpick test to make sure the muffins are ready.
- If you don't have applesauce, you can use 1/2 cup of unsalted butter.
- Same with the whole wheat flour. Go ahead and just use all purpose flour if you don't have whole wheat flour.