Check out my dark chocolate TV segment here! Thank you to Sprouts Farmers Market for sponsoring my segment and blog post. All opinions are my own. As always, I only work with brands I personally use and love!
Chocolate is a great gift for any occasion but it’s an absolute must on Valentine’s Day. If you are debating on whether to give chocolates to your special someone, I say do it! But there’s one little caveat- you may want to skip the standard heart-shaped box chocolate from the grocery store. Trust me. No one wants to think they were on the same to-do list as getting milk and eggs. I have a better solution for you that will not only score points with your significant other but will also save you money… make your own chocolate treat!
If you have either no time to cook or limited cooking skills, then this recipe for Valentine’s dark chocolte peanut butter cups is for you! It’s simple, requires no actual cooking (in fact, all you really need is a microwave and a fridge!), and combines peanut butter and chocolate. Need I say more! To show just how easy is it to make these Valentine’s dark chocolate peanut butter cups, here’s a step-by-step guide!
- Gather the 4 ingredients.
- Melt 3-4 oz dark chocolate (NOTE: 3oz = 1 bar = 1/2 cup chopped or chips) + 1 Tablespoon olive oil in microwave for a total 2 minutes (stirring every 30-seconds).
- Pour about a teaspoon into each of the 12 cupcake tins. You can use regular cupcake holders or silicone ones as pictured here.
- Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Melt peanut butter + olive oil.
- Pour about 1-2 tablespoons over frozen chocolate.
- Freeze for 5-10 minutes.
- Melt 5-6oz dark chocolate + 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Yes thats the same picture as before but imagine a little more chocolate 🙂
- Pour about 2 teaspoons over frozen peanut butter/chocolate and sprinkle crushed freeze dried strawberries on top.
- Freeze for 10 minutes and then refrigerate for 30+ minutes.
Check out the recipe again here!
- 9-10 oz of dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup of freeze-dried strawberries
- Melt 3-4 oz dark chocolate + 1 Tablespoon olive oil in microwave for a total 2 minutes stirring every 30 seconds.
- Add about a teaspoon into each cupcake holder
- Freeze for 15 minutes
- Add about a teaspoon peanut butter to chocolate
- Freeze for 5-10 minutes
- Melt 5-6oz chocolate + olive oil using the same method as above and distribute evenly over frozen chocolate with peanut butter
- Top wth crushed free-dried strawberries
- Freeze for another 10 minutes and then transfer to refrigerator
And you may have noticed the olive oil listed as an ingredient and thought that sounded strange. I promise it does not make these peanut butter cups taste like olives. In fact, the olive oil adds a complex flavor to the dark chocolate that, I feel, makes it taste more decadent and rich. Plus, it’s a type of oil that most of you already have in your fridge, and I wanted to make this recipe as easy as possible!
The freeze-dried strawberries are an optional touch to make these dark chocolate peanut butter cups more festive. If you can’t find them at your local grocery store, you can always top with something like pomegranates.
These Valentine’s dark chocolate peanut butter cups are not only delicious but they are also packed with antioxidant goodness. Check out my last post where I talk about the health benefits of chocolate. What better way to say I love you than a gift that comes from the heart and is also good for the heart!
So what was your favorite gift you’ve ever been given and why… Share int he comments below!